Cybera is the only cloud-based managed application network and security services company to fundamentally change the way distributed businesses use technology. Our purpose-built solution empowers secure, accelerated adoption of new applications and services. Cybera technology is customer-proven at more than 90,000 locations worldwide supporting point-of-sale, loyalty, mobile payment, tank monitoring, and digital signage applications. In fact, thousands of companies rely on Cybera technology, including the world’s largest SD-WAN deployment with more than 16,000 locations. Cybera has been named an IDC Innovator and a Gartner Cool Vendor, and has been recognized seven times by Inc. 5000 as one of America’s fastest-growing private companies.
General Summary of Internship:
The Application Development Intern works within the Application Engineering/Software Development department and is a 10-week paid program from May 20th – July 26th. The Intern will have the opportunity to work in a challenging technical environment that will stimulate skill growth in the following areas: participate in efforts that expand understanding of how application development fits into the growth of a business, appreciate the process of software development in a business setting, from requirements to deployment, pursue opportunities to develop using industry-standard tools utilizing best practices, function within a team setting and contribute to the conversation. Candidates should be interested in pursuing a career in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Systems Development, Web Application Development, or closely related field.
The Intern will report to the Vice President of Application Engineering within the software development team of the technology group. We lead the development of web-based applications to facilitate the delivery of company services to our customers and partners.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Play a key role on a software development project with diverse, cross-functional business and technical requirements
- While embedded within the Software Development team, be responsible for full-stack development related to an existing web application
- Help design major elements of the application, as well as help to extend and enhance the functionality of the application
- Collaborate with senior developers on a continual basis during the development effort and will be exposed to enterprise software development methodologies and practices
- As part of the development effort, adhere to established Cybera development practices, secure coding practices, and development workflows. Project development effort will be subject to enterprise development workflow practices that are well-established at Cybera
- Workflow planning/tracking/monitoring tools will be used to assign and track the completion of all work items. Such tools are the same tools used for planning/tracking/monitoring of all Cybera development efforts
- The Intern will be embedded within development team and regularly involved in cooperative discussions, peer code reviews, pairs programming, secure code reviews, and research analysis discussions related to the project development effort. As part of Cybera’s enterprise development practices, all developers are continually assessed, monitored, and aligned using these techniques
- The success of the intern is directly linked to demonstrating excellence in researching, understanding, and executing work items in the project plan; eager participation in Cybera’s enterprise development practices/workflows; and the readiness and fitness of the development effort at the conclusion of the intern’s engagement
- The candidate is an exceptional junior, senior, or recent graduate of a U.S. four-year degree program with concentration in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Systems Development, Web Application Development, or closely related field of study
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
- Must pass a background check
- The candidate is eager to apply academic background to learn new concepts and technologies
- With direction, the candidate is capable of independent research on specific concepts
- Must be an effective technical communicator and writer. The candidate will be expected to exchange complex technical ideas with development team members.
- Have a good understanding of Object-Oriented Programming concepts, and experience decomposing data and systems into Objects
- Experience and interest in creating effective UX designs. The candidate may be familiar with one or more design genre or design language.
- Have a strong understanding of one of the following core programming languages: Java, Ruby
- Experience with full-stack web application development tools, languages, and concepts, including several of the following:
- Web Development Frameworks: Angular, React, Vue, Bootstrap, JQuery, Node;
- Web Application/MVC Frameworks: Spring, Springboot, Ruby on Rails;
- Database: SQL, Oracle, Postgres, MySQL, SQLite, UML Relational Modeling, Normalization, JPA/Hibernate, ActiveRecord;
- Web Server/Application Container: Apache, Nginx, Node, Passenger.
- The candidate has exposure to the Linux operating system, its basic administration, commands, and concepts
- Aspects of the project plan and development effort may be tailored to reflect the candidate’s individual academic background and experience
- The position works out of Cybera’s Franklin, TN headquarters. Relocation assistance is not provided.